Thursday, January 26, 2012

Not Afraid to Fall

-

I'm not afraid to fall
It means I've climbed up high
To fall is not to fail
You fail when you don't try
Not afraid to fall
I might just learn to fly
And I will spread these wings of mine

If I get up I might fall back down again
So let's get up, come on
If I get up I might fall back down again
And we get up anyway

by Superchic(k)

I love this song from Superchic(k)!  It's so fun and motivating to me, especially when I stumble or make a mistake in life.  I'm trying hard to fight the defeatist mentality when I mess up or when the scale isn't where I think it should be.

My friend Carin shared with me that she's reading a book called "Made to Crave".  It sounds great and it's now on my wish list!  In reading this book, she discovered a new perspective on her weight loss struggles, which spoke to me as well.

"Define your week by obedience, not by a number on the scale.... the scale does help measure our progress, but it can't tell us everything."

I've been fighting hard not to feel down about the scale not pointing lower this past week.  I can't let it stop me from making progress and reaching my dreams.  My future is too bright and I have to many fun things to do in life!  Being unhealthy and overweight would only hold me back!

So, instead of focusing on how many pounds you're losing (and feeling like a failure if you didn't lose any), ask yourself these questions:
  * Did I overeat this week on any day?
  * Did I move more and exercise regularly?
  * Do I feel lighter than I did at this time last week?
  * Did I eat in secret or out of anger or frustration (or as a result of another emotion)?
  * Did I, at any time, run to food instead of to God?

What a great way to focus!  I like this new perspective!  It really takes some pressure off to know you're making the right changes that lead to new, good habits.  Again, this is a lifestyle change, so it doesn't happen overnight.  All these good things lead to a happier life, even during the difficult times.  It feels really free to no longer be held in bondage from emotional eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment