Friday, February 24, 2012

It's Your Call


Bad things happen to good people.  Mean people do awful things to hurt others.  Disease and sickness creep in.  Loved ones pass away.  Marriages dissolve, homes and jobs are lost, and all hope seems gone.

Many times we're caught in the middle and our worlds are turned upside down.  We find ourselves in situations we never expected to be in.  We try to deal.  We try to breathe.  We try to make it through another day.  Sometimes it consumes us and we do the best we can with what we know.

The great news is there's a way to get through these difficult situations and focus on using them to change lives for the better.  As these awful things are happening to or around us, can you imagine yourself saying "I don't understand why this is happening to me, but I know there's a reason I'm going through it.  And if my story will help just one other person, it will all be worth it."  I know it might sound far-fetched, but it really is possible to think this way. 

Many things have happened in my life that I never expected to go through; a divorce, weight gain, sickness, depression, and some other unfortunate events.  But during them all, I really did believe my situations were going to be used later to help others.  I let it strengthen me.  I refused to let it define me or own the victim role.  I would never let it destroy me.  I knew God had a greater purpose in mind and He would use the results of the decisions I made to help others through similar events.

Truthfully, there's a part of me that wishes I had never overeaten a day in my life and could have kept a perfect little figure all my thirty-three years.  But the other part is actually really grateful I've taken this path because it's led me to a new chapter in my journey... weight loss. 

I now get to share my story of struggles, challenges, and successes with you!  We're relating to each other in ways I didn't know were possible.  I feel supported BY you and I love being a support FOR you!  So many people struggle with being overweight, depression, anxiety, self-criticizing, insecurity, and a billion other struggles, so what if sharing my story helped even ten of those people?

And what if I could get those same ten to recognize their dreams, write them down and start focusing on making them happen?  Can you imagine how much more engaged they'd be in life, work, their families, their hobbies, connected to their spirituality, and more?  I understand I'm just one person and I may not be able to change the entire world.  But what if I could help change the worlds of ten people?  Maybe they would feel the power of making their dreams come true and share it with those around them.  If those ten shared it with ten people, before we know it a hundred people have been affected in a positive way!  And it just keeps getting better from there!

Don't underestimate the power of sharing your stories with those who are going through similar events.  You may be the support and comfort they need at just the right time. 

1 comment:

  1. AMAZING!!! My new dream is to save/help the world one person at a time! VERY NICE!

    ReplyDelete