Sunday, March 18, 2012

Live Your Dreams, Not Your Fears!


I've struggled in the past with allowing fear to hold me back.  Fear of failure, fear of looking stupid, fear of rejection, fear of making mistakes, fear of someone not liking me, and many other kinds of fear. 

In the past when it came to weight loss, I would give up before I ever started.  I feared how difficult it would be to resist the temptation to eat when I shouldn't.  I feared it would be too hard to stop eating when I've had a sensible amount of food.  I feared I wouldn't be able to control myself at a restaurant or family gathering.  I feared I wouldn't be able to eat yummy foods and maintain a healthy weight. I feared exercise would be too inconvenient and uncomfortable.  I feared it would cost too much.  I feared that my body would change in a negative way after a significant weight loss.  I feared I would start losing weight, make a little progress, then lose control and blow the whole thing... and then gain more weight than when I started (like many times before). 

Whew.  That's a lot of fears.  And I'm sure I had more that didn't come to mind. 

How sad it is to think about how many of us live our lives this way... listening to our fears and allowing them to hold us back from making our dreams come true.  I think of all the times I've tried to lose weight and maintain but haven't succeeded.  I think about what I could weigh now had I not given into those fears and the doubt that I was good enough.  The truth is, I had to go through all of that for many reasons... some that I'm not even aware of.  Those choices have brought me to this place and I'm blessed to have gone through it! 

I have a personal story to share with others that just might help them believe they can really make this change, too!  We are so blessed.  God is so good to us.  He can take away those fears and help us focus on today.  In our worship time at church this morning God open my eyes to a different perspective.  Focus on today, not tomorrow.  The future is important; your dreams are of the future and may one day become the present, but enjoying the present is important, too.  We may not be able to control what happens in our future, so why live in fear? 

Jeremiah 29:11 says "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord.  "Plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  God said this to us... so why are we worrying?

Let's focus on today and the choices we can make that will move us in the direction of our dreams!

5 comments:

  1. For all those struggling with Fear, I can give you suggestion that helped me start dealing with my fear, in a professional environment, AND helped me refine a critical life skill: Toastmasters. Mark Twain said "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear." Toastmasters helps people learn to master what is considered one of the most fearful acts possible - public speaking - in a controlled and nurturing environment. It will not teach you to conquer your fears, but it will put you on the road to mastering them. And when one falls, others will follow. Plus, you'll rock in business meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT IDEA!!! I love the Mark Twain quote... I haven't heard that one before. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was afraid to post this comment. I was afraid I would offend you or some of your readers. But if I can help just one person win in the battle of the bulge, I win. I have started the tea and lost 3 lbs in 3 days and look forward to many more. I don't want to disappear but I do want to stop feeling like I'm carrying another person around all the time. It's working and I feel it in my thighs (and boy do they need it). Thanks for this article. I am sure it impacted a lot of people who struggle with the same issue we do. If you're still struggling with the weight, there's one solution that will help you lose 15-60 lbs, no drugs, no side effects, just a blend of herbs. Check out HCG Resolution Drops at www.totallifechanges.com/7004691. Live, laugh and love. Have a marvelous day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete