Saturday, March 17, 2012

Life's a Battle


The battle to control our thoughts can be a really difficult one.  It might actually be the most challenging battle we face in our weight loss journey.  But it's a battle we can absolutely win!

We see a food commercial and the attack begins.  Our mouth begins to water, we envision how the food would taste, and we imagine how it would smell.  We even consider making a trip to indulge.  Sometimes we feel too lazy to get out so we begin to compromise and think of alternative meal options at home.  The next thing we know we're mindlessly shoveling food into our mouths.

Wait...

How did we get here?  Were we even hungry to begin with?  How did we find ourselves in this situation... again? 

Now the guilt sets in.  Our bellies are full and we feel terrible for what we've done.  We become aware of how tight our pants feel and begin thinking negative thoughts about ourselves.  It's a vicious cycle.  And this is just one of a thousand battles we find ourselves faced with. 

So how do we win these battles?  How do we become strong enough to resist the temptation to do the things we know will keep us from reaching our dreams? 

First, we focus on our dream and how important it is to us.  Then, we list every advantage we can think of for losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.  Next, we envision how our lives will look when we've achieved that dream and it's finally a reality.  And we embrace that picture... we hold it very close to our heart.  When we focus on it every day and allow it to fuel us, we begin to refuse to let ANYTHING stand in our way of reaching that dream.  No one, no temptation, no old habit, no trigger will stand in our way.  



This is our dream. 
It will change our lives forever. 
We'll go places we've never been.
We'll help people we didn't expect to help. 
We'll find our authentic self in the process and we won't look back.

Don't forget, this is an every minute of every day battle.  But this battle is absolutely worth fighting, because... you are amazing!  You are beautiful!  You are loved!  You are special!  Your dream is important!  You deserve to be happy and see it come true! 

But most of all, you deserve to fight for yourself. 

You can do this!  I believe in us!

2 comments:

  1. This IS such a battle for me! My self talk dialog is SO negative and mean! Honestly, I don't think I have ever been nice to myself. How sad is that? I just need to dig deep and learn to like myself...need to find myself for that matter! Thank you so much for your truly inspirint words! You are great encouragement! I am SO excited to have found your blog! You motivate me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad it's helping!! I struggle daily with these battles but it gets better the more I work on it... hopefully that's an encouragement to you! I've also been super mean to myself. It still happens from time to time but I get past it quicker now than before and it doesn't set me back! Learning to like, then love yourself is so important in reaching your dreams. It just takes effort, persistance, and time!

    ReplyDelete