Saturday, June 23, 2012

Make It Happen



So during my visit to the doctor last week, they did some blood work to check things out.  Last summer, the doctor told me my cholesterol levels came back high.  (Truthfully, I don't know which levels were high - good/bad/etc.  I didn't pay much attention when she was explaining it because, frankly, I didn't want to hear it.  I was sickened that I was being told I had high cholesterol at 33 years of age.  I was angry, to be honest.)  She prescribed some cholesterol medications and I was to pick them up at the pharmacy later that day. 

Um, no.

I REFUSED.

I wasn't about to start taking more medication.  I got myself into this mess and I can get myself out of it.  People do it all the time... can't I? 

So, I didn't pick 'em up.  And a few months later when my doctor asked me if I was taking it, I told her no.  She didn't really seem pleased, but I informed her I had started making changes to lower it on my own and we moved on.  Yesterday the nurse called with my lab results and said "Everything looks great!  All your levels are normal.  Just keep doing whatever it is you're doing!"


I DID IT!

I LOWERED MY OWN CHOLESTEROL!!!!!

I didn't need some stinkin' medicine.  I did it by eating less, moving more, and adding the kinds of foods that help to lower cholesterol (oatmeal, granola, high-fiber foods, bananas, almonds, pistachios, yogurt, & olive oil, to name a few).

YAY, ME!

AND YOU CAN DO IT, TOO!

The best part, I'm now 34 and do NOT have high cholesterol.  21 pounds down... a bunch to go... and I'm feeling so much healthier and better about myself! 

Keep your dreams alive.  Keep believing they'll come true, because they will if you have faith and believe.  Don't give up when fear creeps in.  Don't stop focusing on your dreams when negative thoughts occur.  Trust the journey.  Love every part of it.  Embrace what it's teaching you.  Absorb it into your full being. 

Whatever you do, don't let your dreams die...


3 comments:

  1. Way to go on the test results! We do have the power to change our own lives. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! Believe it or not, when I was fighting my weight much younger, at nine my eye doctor told my mom he could already see cholesterol thickening in the arteries in my eyes! Can you believe that! Nine years old! But now, I have zero cholesterol!

    So proud you took charge and wrestled it right out of your body. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Pamela and Erika!!!!

    E, I had no idea the doctors ever told you that... you are so far from that now, huh?

    ReplyDelete