Monday, June 11, 2012

Reality Check


Thinking back to when I first started this weight loss journey I remember how driven I was to work out, even on days I didn't really want to.  It was the middle of winter and I was working out in my basement - always loving the end result and the way I felt after I'd spent 30 minutes to an hour burning calories. I especially loved how steadily the pounds would drop.

And I remember my 30 pound weight loss in 2008.  I was single, living on my own, and going to the gym 4 to 5 days a week after work with a friend.  I really enjoyed creating my own playlists and mixing up my workout. It felt like the weight and inches poured off then, too.


Reality Check:  I can't remember the last time I went to my basement to exercise.  With the exception of accidental fitness (lots of walking, taking the stairs, or deep house cleaning), I haven't done much intentional working out in the last two months, that I can think of.  I've focused mostly on my food; what I've been eating, when I've been eating it, how much I'm consuming, and why I'm eating (emotions or fuel).  And I've also focused more on writing my blog than working out.  While all of this is great, it certainly explains the plateau I've been on.

It's time to refresh my dream of losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

I've been considering several workout options: find the motivation to work out at home for free; pay for and commit to fitness classes; or pay for and commit to a gym membership.

Pros/Cons:
I've attempted to motivate myself to work out at home for free.  I've tried to find new ways to kick my own butt.  It's currently not working.

The fitness classes can be pricey and will limit me to those classes on certain nights at certain times that may not always accommodate my schedule.  However, I would have so much fun doing those classes!

The gym membership allows me to work out any day, any time between 6 AM and 10 PM, and on any machine they have.  They also have fitness classes included in the single/family membership of $30 a month!  The downfall... the contract.  It's a year-long contract from April 1 to April 1.  The good news?  I can start mid-year and, if I decide I don't like it, I can let them know by February 28 only be locked in until next April.  And it's the closest gym/fitness class to my house, about a 5 minute drive.


Maybe joining a gym could be my way of spending some "me" time to focus on clearing my head, recharging, and taking care of myself.  This is REALLY difficult for me.  I live my life putting everyone else's needs before my own and that's not always the best option.  It's just like putting on an oxygen mask during an airplane emergency... I have to take care of myself before I can properly take care of others.

I'd like to tour the gym facilities this week to see how I feel about joining.  What I know for certain is that I have to put an end to this plateau.  It's time to climb over walls and make changes happen.  I'm ready for a second wind to come fill my lungs with fresh, clean air that will push me towards my dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment