Thursday, December 20, 2012

Climbing My Pile of Trash


Adversity. 

We're all gonna face it.

And we're either going to allow it to overtake us and keep us stuck in misery or we'll rise above it and overcome!

I WANT TO OVERCOME!

I'm currently reading a book called "48 Days To The Work You Love" by Dan Miller.  In the foreword, Dave Ramsey painted such a clear picture of what it looks like to really overcome...

"In the last several years, while meeting and spending time with people who have become inordinately successful, I have observed several common traits among them.  Two of those traits stand out.  One is they have a calling, which they have discovered and are implementing.  The other is they have made mountains of mistakes in the process of becoming "successful."  The gleaming mountain of success is actually a pile of trash - a pile of the mistakes we have made.  The difference between the successful and the troubled is not error-free living; it is that by discovering and implementing a life calling, the successful stand on their pile of trash while the troubled sit under theirs."

I've never thought of a mountain of success as a pile of trash.  When I reflect on my past - on all the bad choices I've made, the mistakes, the trials and errors, "learning things the hard way" - I see how far I've come, how much I've learned, where I dream to go, and I feel like I'm climbing up my pile of trash, trying to make it to the top! 

Sometimes I wish I had never been overweight.  Sometimes I wish I had never decided to get married at nineteen years old.  Sometimes I wish I had followed my dream of being an interior designer instead of taking a job that paid well but didn't fulfill my passion.  Sometimes I wish I had used my voice and took a stronger stand for what I knew was right.

But those choices I made have brought me where I am today... and I would NOT change a thing!  I can relate to many people because of the things I've been through.  I share my struggles, challenges, lessons learned, and victories with others in the hope it will help them feel like they aren't alone.  I want to help them believe they can turn their pile of mistakes into a beautiful pile of successful trash!  They can be successful in weight loss, marriage, finances, career, parenting, step-parenting, blended family issues, and other struggles we face.  They CAN overcome!

I'm not there yet, but I'm on my way.  Every day presents challenges and adversity.  Sometimes I have to find more patience than the day before, but my dreams are important and I have to make them come true!

Are you smothered by your pile of trash, are you climbing to the top of it, or are you standing victorious with arms raised?

5 comments:

  1. Girl you hit the nail on the head with that one! Did I need to read that tonight! I think I was meant to find your page for some reason tonight and I am so glad that I did! I have been off work since October and truly struggling with my purpose. Why did the Lord have my autoimmune condition worsen, why did He had another health condition for me to deal with, what does He want me to do with my life? I know I wasn't put here to sit in this stupid chair! And after reading your blog tonight I know that I am only climbing my trash to make it to the top. I am climbing hard each and everyday. I have no clue what it is that the Lord wants me to do but He does and I have faith in Him to get me to the top of the that trash! Oh and by the way I have to check out that book now! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think God knew what He was doing when He gave me those words and then sent you this way!!! HE IS SO GOOD!!! I would love to keep up with you and support each other in our journeys! It's certainly not always easy, but we CAN do all things through Christ who gives us strength!!!

      That book is GREAT! If you have time to listen, Dan has free podcasts on his website 48days.com. I've listened to about 15 of them now and I can't get enough!! They're really inspiring!

      Delete
  2. Loved the blog...I wrote one similar because it takes making mistakes to lose weight! You learn from those to be a better you one day. It's the people who just can't turn a mistake into an opportunity that might not ever get it. Glad we found each other on Facebook!

    http://www.phit-n-phat.com/making-mistakes-helps-you-lose-weight/

    I'm going to add this blog to my old one as a reference!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! I'm so glad we connected as well!!! I'm totally going to check out your blog post. I love getting all the encouragement and motivation I can find!

      Delete
  3. It's fresh friday :)

    http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/2012/12/fresh-friday-wk-7.html

    ReplyDelete