Monday, December 24, 2012

Goals & Dreams


The article Consider Not Setting Goals in 2013, by Peter Bregman, was shared with me last week. Please take a few minutes to read it!
.
.
.

When a fellow associate, Charlie, read this article he shared with me his creative outlook on it. Here's what he said...


I like what he has to say about how sometimes our goals get in the way of what we really want. Still, it seems like maybe this is a case of throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Here’s what I mean.
homeruns. So, the focus was on teams scoring runs, players hitting balls as far as possible and raking in dollars. What was the result? Steroids. So, baseball says now, “Well, you can’t cheat (especially if you get caught)”. The irony is that baseball never had rules against using substances before. No one seemed to care about cheating until it became public.

What’s the point?
The problem was the goal itself. The goal fostered cheating. If the goal was something like “score more runs having players use their natural abilities as best they can without artificially enhancing them with performance enhancing drugs,” perhaps there wouldn’t be an issue.

What’s that mean?
It seems to me that it’s not setting goals that gets in the way. It’s what the goals tell us that is the problem. You said it yourself below: “I didn’t focus on the right areas at the right time.” Before you even set your goals, you have to seriously consider the crucial question: What is it that I really, honestly, truly want. Maybe goals should reflect an answer to that question. Goals shouldn’t just be a list of stuff we hope to get done.

So, perhaps we shouldn’t give up goals completely. Instead, can we reword them to point us to what we really want? Maybe that is a dream list. Call it what you want. It still gets you to the same place; at least, that’s how I will approach it.




Charlie gave a great illustration of defining your dream and determining, for yourself, exactly what you're willing to do to get there. Can you live with those decisions? Is a quick fix really the answer or does slow and steady win the race?

In my personal weight loss journey, I have a dream list and a goal list. In the beginning, I was doing well at meeting the goals I set to help me achieve my dream. But the first time I didn't meet one of the goals, I started to feel like a failure. I just wanted to give up and stop trying because it seemed "too hard". But you know what kept me form drowing?

My dream.

I began to realize it was way too important to me. The pros of losing weight and living a healthy life far outweighed the cons of continuing to do nothing.

When I took another look at my dream list and refocused asking "What is the real picture here… what do I really want for my life?", I was able to pick myself up, dust it off, and keep moving towards that dream. It is taking much longer than I wanted or expected to lose the weight and develop new, good habits, but I'm making a lifestyle change and I'm not using anything unnatural to speed up the process. My initial "timeline” of weight loss wasn't unrealistic, but it didn't account for the mistakes, trial and error, pain, surgery, or recovery I endured. When I stop to envision my dream, the desire for it to become my reality is much more important to me than making it happen in a certain time frame. I want it to LAST, even if that means it will take more time to work on all the areas I struggle with.

I went back to my goal list and made some changes. And I felt really good about them! Nothing is written in stone, we need to be flexible with our own goals. As you learn and experience new things, adjust your goals to make it work FOR YOU. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing. What works for some may not work for others.



To ignight my goals and dreams, I'm going to do the free 30 Day Challenge to Master Organization and Achieve Goals beginning January 1st!  I'd love for some of you to do it along with me for support and accountability! 

In the 30 Day Challenge, Chalene Johnson & team will e-mail daily support and information to help make meaningful change in our lives.  The goal-driven to-do list can help keep us organized and ensure our efforts reflect our goals and that we're living the life we were meant to live! This is an accountability group with only one IMPORTANT string... we have to commit to signing in to the website every day for 21 days and keep our to-do list.  That doesn't sound so bad, right? 

With a new year and a fresh start, why wouldn't we want to add something that may propell us to our dreams?  It takes 21 days to build a habit... where could we go in 30 days?

WHO'S WITH ME?

 

4 comments:

  1. I signed up, so I'll join you on this 30 day challenge. I've been working on losing ten pounds and now I need to lose 8. Progress! Esther Norine Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!! We're in it together now! I'm super excited!!

      Delete
  2. I got through half of the 30 day challenge :(

    I love Chalene's stuff though... I just let getting busy get in the way....

    Great post Chrissy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that! I'm a little worried that my first three days of the year we'll be on a hunting trip in Arkansas, so I'm wondering if we'll even have internet access! My fingers are crossed!

      Thanks, Jason!

      Delete