Monday, January 14, 2013

Green Smoothies & Roasted Veggies




When it comes to eating this week, I've rocked it!  I was 1,358 calories under my budget for the week and I feel so great about it.  AWESOME!  I hope to do as well - or better - this week!  I love the feeling of being back on my "A" game and making better progress towards my dream.  I hope you experience that... it thrills your soul!

I wanted to share a trick I learned on Pinterest to help with making green smoothies, such as the Strawberry Banana Green Smoothie I shared last week.  This spinach bunch was $2.  I could have bought the pre-packaged, stemless kind for a two additional dollars, but I'm saving money any way I can... AND I kind of enjoy taking the time to work with healthy, good-for-you food.  It's like a bonding moment and it makes me want to keep eating healthy!  (If it's crazy, I'm okay with that.  It's working!)

I washed and dried the spinach, then removed all the stems.  I put the spinach leafs in the blender... the entire bunch when in my blender at once!  I added water, maybe a cup or a cup and a half, and blended well.



The entire bunch was reduced to about 25 ounces of green goodness!  



I couldn't find any ice trays because we have an automatic ice maker, but I plan to purchase one or two soon!  I had six of these little Tupperware containers on hand so I poured the spinach into them, put the lids on, and popped them in the freezer.

* These containers were slightly difficult to work with when in a rush.  Getting the lid off while frozen took some time, then I had to use a quick defrost in the microwave to get the spinach ice cube out of the container.  No biggie and I can certainly deal with it, but ice cube trays would be much easier!



A healthy meal I made - and LOVED - is roasted mixed vegetables.  It's an easy, budget-friendly dish and is totally delicious!  I would have added a red onion but didn't have one on hand.



I used one red, orange, yellow, and green pepper, one summer squash, and one zucchini squash, and cut them, removing the seeds from the peppers.  I sprayed the sheet with olive oil spray and seasoned the veggies with Mrs. Dash Original blend, Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, and black pepper.



Once roasted, I ate some for dinner and put the rest in containers for lunches at work!  Super easy, super cheap, super flavorful, and super healthy!



Roasted Vegetables

  • olive oil flavored cooking spray
  • medium bell peppers (1 each: red, green, yellow, and orange), seeded and quartered
  • summer squash, halved lengthwise and chopped
  • zucchini, halved lengthwise and chopped
  • 1 cup red onion, sliced
  • Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning, to taste
  • Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, to taste
  • black pepper, to taste

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 450ºF.  Coat large baking sheet with cooking spray.
  2. Arrange peppers, squash, zucchini, and onion on prepared baking sheets, lightly coat vegetables with cooking spray; sprinkle with seasoning.
  3. Roast until vegetables are tender and golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. 

    * One serving equals 3/4 cup at 40 calories.  8 servings total.  0 points for those of you who do Weight Watchers!

2 comments:

  1. This is WONDERFUL! Looks great, with all the colors and I'm sure it was both yummy & filling! I will try it! Thanks for the inspiration! I'm back to Weight Watchers now & looking for some new ideas for easy cooking! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY CAROL!! That's fabulous! You're so welcome for the inspiration... I hope to keep sharing more food ideas!

      Delete