Friday, January 4, 2013

Talkin' Back



After reading Erika's recent CloudNineGirl.com blog post 'Living Wednesday Like an Almost Monday', I've reflected again on my dreams.  Lately, Satan has been working hard to get me to put too much focus on how my journey might look to others.  I'm aware that the following worries are some nasty tricks he's using against me with inferiority, insecurity, and comparison:

"What if other people think I'm a failure because it's taking me so long to lose weight?"
"What if people get tired of reading my blog because I keep making mistakes?"
"People must think I'll never achieve my dream of losing this weight and staying healthy."
"Are their people who are happy I'm not losing weight fast and want me to fail?"


Here's how I'm responding to his attacks!

"What if other people think I'm a failure because it's taking me so long to lose weight?"
* Those who support and believe in me don't think I'm a failure.  It may be taking longer than I'd like to lose weight and break these old, bad habits, but I'm making progress and learning from each mistake!

"What if people get tired of reading my blog because I keep making mistakes?"
* Being so transparent about my mistakes and victories helps others to know they aren't alone.  This journey is hard and it's full of a lot of challenges.  There's no quick fix or easy way out.  Surgery isn't going to break the emotional connections I've made with food and if I want this to last, it's going to take time.

"People must think I'll never achieve my dream of losing this weight and staying healthy."
* It really doesn't matter what others think.  It's my journey and my dream. Each mistake I make is a lesson learned and as long as I keep picking myself up after I stumble and fall, I'm moving forward and making progress towards my dream!  I can't spend a second worrying about what others think of my life.  I need only be concerned about what God thinks.

"Are their people who are happy I'm not losing weight fast and want me to fail?"
* Haters gonna hate.  Proverbs 9:8
("So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.  But correct the wise, and they will love you.")

Focus on God and connect with Him.  Listen for His voice to show you the path to take, the right decisions to make, the courage to keep going when you feel like quitting, and the wisdom to know when Satan's trying to trip you up.  God is so much bigger than Satan... and God will help you through this!


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love how you explore your fears and than return with the thoughts you actually feel or are working toward. We'll always screw up. That's just what we do. But the fun part is picking ourselves up, dusting off our hands and doing the impossible all over again. Keep working and dreaming. Even if it's a little at a time.

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe your transparency of your humanity in your life journey is exactly what makes your inpsiring and encourging for others aka me!! We make mistakes, we stumble, we fall, we nose dive deep straight into the corn dip! It happens!!
    Your strength and courage shines through when you talk back to your negative thoughts and let your focus wander to what others think and believe about you.
    It is comforting and somehow connecting to know that your ARE struggling, but your success is evident in your heart! That is a true victory! You ARE believing in yourself, your dreams and your journey.
    I don't take any pleasure in your "mistakes and failures", in fact I see them as "progress', and I take comfort and refuge in knowing that I have someone to lift me up and help me accept the challenges and difficulties of this journey. It is part of the journey and you are embracing it! All of it!

    You are doing it! It doesn't matter if its "right or wrong". It's your story, you write the words and turn the pages as you are ready!

    You got this one, sista!!
    HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kendra!! I agree with you... I, too, find comfort in knowing how others struggle just like me. I really feel like I'm not alone and out there trying to figure it all out by myself.

      And I love what you said at the end... "It's your story, you wrtie the words and turn the pages as you are ready!" LOVE THIS AND LOVE YOU!

      Delete
  3. You are awesome and I don't think you should worry at all about what other people think. I used to deal with this issue as well until I acknowledged the fact that I am only doing this to bring glory to God. I want to inspire others through my weight loss journey. It is not just about the victories but also the struggles. You need to be able to relate to others, be transparent and vulnerable. I repeat the mantra "I am beautiful, power and strong and I am transforming for the GLORY of God". This has helped me deal with my insecurity issues. I deal with those issues because I am also a persoan trainer and feel that people automatically judge me, like I should look a certain way. So I can completely relate with what you feel. I think you just have to keep reminding yourself what you are doing this for. We must glorify God with our body. (1 corinthians 6:20).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton, Monica!!! Your blog post today really spoke to me. I've been working hard to focus more on God and allow Him to help me through Satan's atacks of insecurity and inferiority. This world we live in sets us up to feel insecure and never good enough. But when our eyes are focused on God and we begin to see and feel His love and how precious we are in His sight, our view begins to change. It's an incredible transformation, really!!!

      Delete